|Scottish||Towns||Dunning - History|
The name Dunning appears in many forms in various documents throughout the ages: DUNNYNE - DUNYNE - DONYNG - DONYONGE - DINN - DINNIN - DUNYN - DUNING. The prefix DUN referred originally to a fortress or enclosure and later became connected with hill-names.
The old family name of Dunning comes from the village, the founder being Anechal Thane of Dunning, who witnessed the Charter of the Earl of Strathearn setting up the foundation of the Abbey of Inchaffray around 1200. A Robert Dunnyng was seven times Provost of Perth from 1472 to 1492.
The family and the village appear to have parted company as there has been no trace of people named Dunning in the village for the last few centuries.
King David Bruce died 1371 and was succeeded by Robert the Stewart of Scotland and Earl of Strathearn.
John de Rollo obtained from that Prince a charter, dated at Methven 14th February 1380-1, confirming the grant formally given to him de terris de Findony, cum "parte de Dunyn, et de terris de Drumcroube et de "Ladcathy" (that is, of the lands of Findony, with part of Dunning and of the lands of Duncrub and Ledketty).
He was private secretary to Robert III and died in the beginning of the reign of James I.
The Rollo family can trace their lineage to a much earlier period. Eric Rollo, the Dane, had obtained a settlement in Normandy as early as the 8th century and from him were descended the Dukes of Normandy (in the line of whom, passing over several generations, we come to William the Conqueror).
Eric de Rollo, a scion of the same stock, accompanied the Conqueror to England in the capacity of Secretary. A portrait of him, taken in his ninety-eighth year, is said to be still in the family.
A descendant of his came to Scotland, as many other Normans did, in the time of David 1 and obtained from that monarch a grant of houses and lands in the Lothians. From him descended John de Rollo above named who, in the following century, settled in Perthshire and founded the family of Duncrub.
The steeple is also of an older date, probably mid-12th century. The handsome pointed arch between church and steeple was probably introduced when that older church was replaced. The mediaevil church with its open-beam, high pitched roof existed until 1811, when it was reconstructed and enlarged as seen today. An ancient stone, standing at the base of the tower and bearing the designs of a Celtic cross and figuration, points to an even earlier church on the site - perhaps back in the days of St Serf himself.
The graveyard surrounding the church is of great interest with many old stones, some dating back to the early 17th century. Some carry symbols of the old trade and craft guilds to signify the occupation of the person interred.
The villagers were involved mainly in the weaving industry and by the 1850's the population had reached 2,200. The collapse of the village weaving industry due to centralisation in large industrial mills, the enclosures and co-joinings of small farmsteads, the by-passing of the village by the main Stirling-Perth route and the coming of the railway in 1847 all contributed to the demise of the village as an important trading centre; the important annual market eventually being moved to Perth.
Dunning Parish History Society site.
© Scottish Towns