|Scottish Horse Regiment Museum|
After the amalgamation with the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry in 1956, it was decided by The Scottish Horse Trustees to set up a Regiment Museum in Dunkeld in order to perpetuate the memory of The Regiment.
The museum, opened by the 10th Duke of Atholl, was established in 1958 and located in the Regiment's original Headquarters and Drill Hall. It is now one of the very few completely independent and self supporting Yeomanry Museums in the country.
In 1977 The Scottish Horse Trustees decided to undertake a major scheme of modernisation and improvement to the Museum, with work commencing in the Spring of that same year. It was re-opened on July 2nd 1978 by Major D.H. Butter MC, Lord Lieutenant of Perth and Kinross.
The Regiment has a wonderful record, starting in 1900 when the Marquis of Tullibardine (later the 8th Duke of Atholl) received a telegram from Lord Kitchener commanding him to raise The Scottish Horse for service in the South African War and "to send out the fiery cross".
Lord Tullibardine recruited in South Africa and his father, the 7th Duke, recruited in Scotland. The recruiting areas in Scotland were principally the Atholl District of Perthshire but also in Aberdeenshire, Moray and Nairn, Argyll and the Islands.
The Regiment served in the South African Campaign, the 1914-18 War and again in the 1939-45 War.
The Battle Honours are:-
In its comparatively short existance The Scottish Horse has been a Regiment of Cavalry, Scouts, Infantry, Bicyclists, Artillery, Tanks and Armoured Cars - indeed it was always very adaptable.
The 8th Duke of Atholl was Colonel Commandant of the Regiment until he died in 1942. He was succeeded as Colonel Commandant by his widow Katherine, Duchess of Atholl, who died in 1960.
The Scottish Horse Regimental Museum
OPEN: 10.00 - 12.00 & 13.30 - 17.00
(CLOSED THURDAY & FRIDAY)