Welcome to ...Alyth
Scottish Towns Message Board Scottish Towns On Line Auction Scottish Towns Chat Rooms Scottish Towns Ancestry Message Boards Advertise with Scottish Towns with www.scotland-instore.com Become an Agent with Scottish Towns! About Us

Accommodation
Golf
Walks
Feedback
Credits
Nearby ....

Blairgowrie ...
where the soft fruit grows in abundance and the restaurants make full use of local produce!

Glenshee ...
steeped in history, legend and breathtaking scenery!

Meigle ...
on Perthshire's eastern borders and with one of the country's most impressive collections of early Celtic stone monuments.
Maps ....

For a wider look at the Perthshire area, load our Perthshire Map and choose your destination!

Details of all the items mentioned in this page are available from the Tourist Board.


Links ....

Scottish Tourist Board

Scottish Towns
new Alyth photograph to follow lyth has grown from being a very small village in northern Perthshire into a small county town, situated on the edge of vast heather-clad moorlands which stretch all the way to Braemar.
Granted a Charter by King James III in 1488, Alyth was raised to the rank of Burgh of Barony with the right to hold markets and fairs. The steady growth of this area means that the Queich (or Alyth burn), with its several bridges, now runs through the centre of Alyth.


here has been a Christian presence in this area since the 6th century via St Moluag, a contemporary of St Columba. Within the old churchyard can be seen part of the old sacristy of the Pre-reformation Church of Alyth (dedicated to St Moluag of Lismore).
The Old Market Cross of Alyth (rected in 1670 by the Earl of Airlie) was sited originally by the churchyard gate in Toutie Street, or the Causeway, as it was once known. It eventually proved an obstruction to traffic and had to be removed but was erected again in 1913, this time at the Market Square, by the Dowager Countess of Airlie.


s with many of Scotland's place names there is considerable debate as to the origins of the name Alyth. One of the more likely explanations comes from Rev James Meikle who suggests that it is derived from the Pictish-Welsh "ar leithio" - a place overlooking soft ground subject to flooding. However, we are always pleased to receive emails regarding the place names of any Scottish town or village!


he town was connected to the outside world by the coming of the railway in 1861. A further rail link, connecting Alyth with Braemar, was proposed in 1878 but it never materialised. The existing railway service was closed to passengers in 1951.
Last updated June 2001
© Scottish Towns